Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  June 26, 2016 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
next sunday, same place and same time. >> i am chris wallace, a populist uprising in britain sends shockwaves around the globe. in it happened there, can it happen in america? >> british people have made a clear decision to take a different path. >> what will not change is the special relationship that exists between our two nations. >> people see a big parallel. they want to take their country back. they want to have independence. >> today, former speaker newt gingrich top trump advisor and possible running mate on whether britain's vote to leave the european union could have parallels here at home. >> an exclusive interview with hillary clinton's campaign manager. on how she will deal with a growing populist rebel beyond as she takes on donald trump.
3:01 pm
>> each day we see how reckless and careless donald trump is. he is proud of it. >> campaign manager, robby mook, only on fox news sunday. >> democrats stage a dramatic sit in on the house of representatives floor over gun control. we will ask our panel how big an issue guns will be in the presidential race. all right now. on fox news sunday. >> hello from fox news in washington. we are feeling the aftershocks from britain's startling decision to leave the european union. brexit sent financial markets into a worldwide sell off and many are wandering in the antiestablishment wave in britain will sweep over the united states presidential campaign. in a moment we will talk with the hillary clinton manager, robby mook and talk trump advisor not gingrich what it means. but, first, we start in london
3:02 pm
with our correspondent reporting from a country still coming to terms with what it has done. >> yes, credit, in the debate here it has shifted to, would will next lead great britain and take it through the unchartered waters. there is a lot of turmoil at westminster as legislations from both the leading parties ready for position in this vacuum. the campaign leading up to the referendum was divisive and at times nasty. that tone continues both among the public and politicians here as the dust settles over the decision on thursday. european leaders met yesterday. there was an emergency summit in better lip. they are saying britain cannot drag its feet and needs to begin the process of knowning their "out," agreements as soon as possible so european can go forward with the president saying it will not be volume
3:03 pm
estimate. scotland voted to remain, they are talking about holding a second referendum on secession to protect their european privileges and residents. >> i said year people from other e.u. country whose have chosen, done us the honor of choosing to meet scott -- make scotland their home are welcome here and i repeat that again. >> the themes that led to brexit are similar to those discussed in the united states presidential campaign. people feeling alienated from the power centers that determine their fate. and worry that their standard of living is eroding. the vote was to an extent a protest against immigration. [ inaudible ] >> chris, over two million non-british european citizens living in the unite kingdom are very worried about their future
3:04 pm
and their legal status and, finally, a petition on-line going around collecting so far more than three million signatures and it is asking for a second referendum but it is not clear whether that will change anything. chris? amy, thank from london. >> now the fall out in the unpresidential campaign is form house speaker newt gingrich a possible running mate. welcome back to fox news. donald trump is drawing parallels between brexit and his campaign here in the united states but that was a vote about a bureaucracy in brussels. not a choice between two candidates. also, the number of minority voters is twice as high, at 25% compared to 13% in this country opposed to great britain. are there big differences? >> i point out that the week before in rome and turin reform candidates from a brand new
3:05 pm
party founded by a comic, woman, the first elected in rome, one was 65% against ultra additional parties so the sense there is a wave building against the establishment is real. now, i would not overstate it, and frankly you have indicated one of his great challenges: he has to find a way to be as effective reach out to all americans as he is in reach out to white americans. if he becomes that effective there is no reason to believe that mothers on south side chicago are happy with the murder rate they never had a republican talk about it and show they care. no reason to believe that memorial in baltimore are happy about the murder rate. a trump who decided to be general winly concerned about all americans could get some very surprising responses. >> secretary clinton tied brexit to her argument that donald trump is unqualified to be president. in a statement she issued she said "this time of uncertainty
3:06 pm
only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the white house." your response? >> hysterical. she was wrong on brexit. she wanted the other vote to win. she was wrong on libya. she was wrong on the reset with russia. what has she been right about? do you need more of this experience? it is a limit bit like casey asking anyone in the most could play? this is no reason to believe that hillary clinton's expenses qualify for anything other than retirement. >> isn't there an argument it is better to be experienced than unexperienced? >> show is experienced at gelding to goldman sachs to make secret speeches for a last money and secret mightings as secretary of state, and 170 have been unearthed secret meeting with donors? and experienced at being part of the most corrupt system we have seen but i don't know if that
3:07 pm
experience will work this fall. >> clinton tore into trump on the economy the same way she tore into him on phone policy last week. >> let's take a look at what he did for his business. he has written a lot of books about business. they all seem to end at chapter 11. >> given trump's business record, given the fact that his tax plan by independent analysis would add $10 trillion to the national debt over 10 years, doesn't clinton have-ty to attack? >> she will make a last allegations let me give you one fact from the director of national intelligence. last year, the estimate by the director of national intelligence is that the chinese stole $360 billion in intellectual property twice the total united states ex officers to china last year. a trump say this is the end result of an establishment thatd
3:08 pm
deals for the rest of us she has to come back and make the case that their trade policies and their weak economy, and bell number a recession by late summer, she has to make the case this is fine. i agree with the rnc the phase "enough with the hillary clinton point down could be all you need to win the campaign." why will there be a recession? >> you watch what is happening with the manufacturing, with the various purchasing things, with consumer credit, consumer confidence everything the range of things it is getting slower and they reduced against the estimated growth rate, we are now down to 1.5% growth rate and the head of the federal reserve yeltsin said the only republican our employment looks like it did is because we have had such a radical drop in the number of people logging for work they dropped out. very few normal machines think it is an acceptable economy.
3:09 pm
hillary clinton thinks the economy is just fine. >> donald trump also went after clinton this week but while she had plan difficult to hit him on he has lend difficult to hit her but he made a number of statements that were...false. i will put them on the screen. she wants totally open borders, she does not. he said she wanted to spend hundreds much billions for refugees to be reselled but the total budget is $1 billion. then this. >> among the victims of our late ambassador chris stevens, what she did with him was absolutely horrible, he was left helpless to die as hillary clinton soundly slept in her bed. >> you can certainly argue about how hillary clinton handled benghazi but the fact is, the attack happened at 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon here in washington and she was working late into the night so there is plenty to attack but why not
3:10 pm
stick to the facts? >> different people have said different things about what she did and what her instruction were. >> she wasn't asleep is the point. >> but, she certainly --. >> she should have been but she wasn't. >> okay, a last things people canning a about that trump said and a lot that hillary clinton says but the objective fact is, there remain over 600 requests for security from libya. that number came from the chairman of the intelligence committee not from donald trump. they were ignored. the fact is in the end there was no effective effort to respond. the fact is she clearly lied about why it occurred. you have families of the people who were killed who say she lied to them. this is a debate, and they can get into days on a fight with donald trump but this is fought a debate they will win. on the larger framing, the country is overwhelmingly with donald trump.
3:11 pm
the degree that the news media has bent over backwards hillary clinton is for on borders legalizing 11 million people here, and --. >> that does not mean she wants to open baders foreign else. >> she is opposed to a wall, a fence, and being in control of it, and wants 85,000 syrian refugees now and who knows how many after the election so to suggest she is for control the immigration policy defies everything we know about her and he appointees. >> on a trip this weekend to scotland, donald trump flipped on two of his major policies and i will talk about those. he now said that he wants to ban muslims only from what he calls terror states, not all muslims and does not consider mass deportation part of the immigration plan. what does he stand for? >> he stands for evolving process of coming to grips with
3:12 pm
big problems. >> does that mean what he said last week does not stand this week? >> as the facts involved he was never in public policy until june of last year. over the last year he has leadership add great deal, sometimes he has been flat wrong and i have been very tough on your show when i thought he was wrong and he has changed things as he has learned more and will keep changing. the core direction different friendses are enormous. >> i would apply a test for sharia and a test for isis rather than geographic test finding people all over the world who are...it is hard to say which countries are...i do think you will find most americans like to see a much tougher deal of how you deal with terrorism. the details could be evolving for trump but they are still evolving in the same direction
3:13 pm
of getting a grip on this >> the supreme court in a tie vote this week blocked president obama's executive action that would have deferred deporting for millions of people in this country illegally. won't that mobilize hispanic voters who already are against trump to turn out in greater numbers to register and vote? >> it might. but it is also fair to say that the issue of the next supreme court justice mobilizes everyone who cares about the second amendment and an america that has been a decisive factor in winning a lost elections. the court, on balance, will try -- but, also, donald trump in the next 60 days these develop an casey gravive program reaching out to hispanics on economic issues and education issues and he is not worse off today than mitt romney. >> you but mitt romney lost by 44 points. >> my point there is a base to
3:14 pm
grow from, that is a quarter of the hispanic community and if he can grow from that, he will do better than people think the >> when you talk about the wall and the mexican american judge at trump university and we will see what he says about deporting. all the wall is about security and legal american citizens whether it pang or otherwise when they look at orlando, they are very conditioned about national security. >> two more questions. both cam papers filed reports this week on where they stand and the contrast was shocking. as of june 1st trump had $1.3 million catch and $69 on the payroll. clinton has $42.5 million and 85 0 staffers. >> can you not run like that
3:15 pm
>> and they staffing up. they are adding more and more people. what is funny, the chart on january 1 of jeb bush and donald trump. general had a bigger operation, more money, would buy more tv adds and he disappeared. you watch scotland and, again, trump got, what, 40 minutes of free television time? so you to add in the earned media value and he paid off $50 million in campaign did the by writing a check. i don't have a punch that hillary clinton will give up any of her personal money when wall street is funding her. >> oh boy. when you are here, the running mate game, and you say, you are better than that, no, you are not. here is my question --. >> you preempted my compensate. >> my question now, are you being vetted?
3:16 pm
you have not submitted any information. >> no, nobody call me and no one said would you like to be or would you be willing to be considered. >> given we are three weeks ago, what does that say? >> start to thinking about it two days before cleveland. >> are you serious? >> donald trump does not want to make a decision until the convention and he is a very decisive person and in case of a few of us, i am an example, there is not much vetting to do. you guys have been all over me for a decade. all the good and the bad and the ugly. >> a all you have to do is google. >> thank you, always a pleasure to talk. >> are the forces behind the brexit vote a wanting sign for hillary clinton? we will talk with her campaign manager, robby mook when we return. i'm terrible at golf. he is. but i'd like to keep being terrible at golf
3:17 pm
for as long as i can. new patented ensure enlive has hmb plus 20 grams of protein to help rebuild muscle. for the strength and energy to do what you love. new ensure enlive. always be you. with usaa is awesome. homeowners insurance life insurance automobile insurance i spent 20 years active duty they still refer to me as "gunnery sergeant" when i call being a usaa member because of my service in the military to pass that on to my kids something that makes me happy
3:18 pm
my name is roger zapata and i'm a usaa member for life. usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life.
3:19 pm
3:20 pm
>> hillary clinton supports 9 campaign pore britain to stay in the european union. she said that the turmoil after the vote to leave reinforces the need for steady leadership in washington, dc. joining me from new hampshire is clinton campaign manager robby mook. welcome to fox news. >> thanks. >> the british vote to leave the e.u. was anti-establishment, fear of immigration, fear of global trading that is leaving millions of people behind. stint that kind of working-class anger what is driving donald trump's campaign here in the united states? >> you obviously do nut want to
3:21 pm
create too many false equivalencies between a referendum overseas on an economic union and a vote in the united states for president. in your question is about the feeling of the electorate, there is a similarity. voters here in the united states are incredibly frustrated. there are not enough new jobs being created, inches are not rising, and people are very frustrated. the next president is going to have to address that issue. this brexit event is very instructive and voters were taking stock of how both candidates responded to the situation. hillary clinton came out quickly and obviously said that voters had spoken and said we need to make sure that middle class savings are not affected by what happened in contrast, donald trump want out and talked about his golf course and all of the fancy plumbing at his resorts
3:22 pm
and said that he was actually glad the british pound was plummeting because it would help his bottom line. there is a real contrast here. hillary clinton looks at this through the eyes of affecting middle class families and donald trump through the eyes of how it helps his bottom line. >> but --. >> it shows how he is unfit to be our next president. >> trump said he is a change agent. take a look. >> she believes she entitled to the office. slogan is "i'm her." my response is i'm with you, keep 'em. >> donald trump is make much the same argument that bernie sanders used so effectively. >> look at donald trump's record the he has a lot of slogans but every juncture he has done what is best for his own bottom line.
3:23 pm
his ideas are fundamental health to our economy talk about default on the national debt, called himself the king of debt, and independent economists say that he would lung us into an economic ice age. i don't think donald trump is on the side of any family in the united states, certainly not on their economic side and if we look at how he has conducted his business the way that he has not paid small business directors and the way he has cheated hourly wage workers he has made a lot of money but he has hurt a lot of people in his wake and families need to be very skeptical. he certainly is on the side of his bottom line and bank account. >> point that clinton made saying this shows the need for steady limp but he has an answer to the leadership question. he said that clinton was part of the famed russian reset, the decision to pull all united states troops out of iraq, benghazi, the failed
3:24 pm
intervention. take a look to what he said. >> the hillary clinton foreign policy has cost americans thousands of lives and trillions and trillions of dollars. unleashed isis across the world. for second of state has been more wrong more often in more places than hillary clinton. >> on the question of leadership, how will clinton explain a number of failures under her watch. >> be very clear. donald trump can throw a bunch of platitudes out there and try to obscure what is really going on. donald trump is temperamentally unfit to be the commander and have access to the nuclear codes and have the lives of our men and women in uniform in his hands. the fact is secretary clinton served we as second of state, was in the room during the decision to take out osama bin
3:25 pm
laden and no one in our history has been more friend to be our commander than hillary clinton. donald trump simply does not have the temperament and he will be a problem even how he praises dictators and his lack of experience in foreign affairs. >> we will talk about the issues i asked newt gingrich of the supreme court nondecision that will block obama's executive action to defer deporting of millions of people in the country illegally. in the aftermath of the decision by the court the hispanic voters will turn out to register and vote in greater numbers. >> well, there is a lot at stake for all americans with the supreme court. this situation highlights the response of electing a president who will appoint common sense
3:26 pm
justices who will be on the side of every day people would will reform our campaign finance system. we are talking about ream familied and real lives, there are thousands of people and families cross the country being left in limbo, and hillary clinton call out c veto get this resolved and keep the families together. we look at donald trump and he talks of supporting people en masse, and has put out a list of judges he would appoint to the supreme court. they all right wing extremists who will only make the problems worse. this highlights the importance of the choice of president and the kind of justices they will appoint. >> house democrats staged a sit in on the house of representatives floor this week for 26 hours to unfor new gun rolls. since and 2030 candidates have soft peddled gun control because it tends in anything to mobilize the pro gun forces. question: will hillary clinton
3:27 pm
campaign aggressively on tougher gun control this fall? >> she has spoken out clearly on this issue during the entire campaign and show will obviously continue to do so. this is very simple: we need to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, out of the hands of terrorists, and republicans including donald trump are trying to block this atry step. it is something that the american people support overwomen -- overwhelmingly and we need to get something done for the families and that is what hillary clinton is proposing we do. >> there are ethics and donald trump hit hillary clinton hard on that. >> she ranked state department like her own personal hedge fund doing favors for oppressive regimes and many others and many, many others in exchange for cash. >> according to a recent poll, 3 3% say she is honest and
3:28 pm
trustworthy and 62% say, no. given all of the questions that keep coming out, how is she going to handle the question about ethics? >> first of all, donald trump's speech was riddled with outright lies, inaccuracies that have been fact checked. >> i point on that out but go ahead. >> it is riddled inaccuracies and this is just another one. i find it very ironic that donald trump we bought his golf course from an arab country and has made tremendous profit by making deals with countries with all sorts of we human rights abuse records. donald trump has more to answer than hillary clinton. >> briefly, how about hillary clinton ethics, how will she answer on that? >> well, hillary clinton has been the most transparent secretary of state in our hit
3:29 pm
she has released all of her e-mails, she has are leased her schedules and the record speaks for itself. >> you know there is a last push back on that. >> again, we are talking about transparency and ethics and it is a given for decades that presidential candidates release taxes, and donald trump refuses to do that and refuses to release the documented remitting to trump university. this is a deflection technique and we are trying to get a -- they trying to get a teleprompter in front of him. >> on that sol, what about hick's trips for the gold man sacks speeches? >> well, look, donald trump has given dozens of paid speeches himself and no one is asking him to release them. hillary clinton has released her taxes for decades now, and donald trump has not released a single one. we have to assume he is hiding
3:30 pm
something. donald trump has a lot of work to do before he asks questions of other candidates. >> as i discussed with gingrich your campaign has a huge advantage over donald trump for money and staff and infrastructure but that does not stop donald trump in the primaries and that, really, is the issue. he is a different kind of candidate you are running a traditional campaign and he is not. isn't this kind of warfare when you are dealing with donald trump? >> donald trump is probably one of the most reckless unfit candidates ever to seek the 39cy. and hillary clinton is one of the most french -- prepared. we are doing everything we can can to mobilize voters and turn them out on the ground and on the airways and there is so much at stake in the election we do not want to leave anything to chance. what is really going to drive the election is the tremendous difference between the candidates and how unfit, how dangerous donald trump is and how prepared and steady hillary
3:31 pm
clinton will be. that is what we will keep talking about on the ground and on the airways. >> thank you for joining us, please come back. >> i really appreciate it. >> next, we will bring in our sunday group to discuss behalf brexit means for britain and european and the global economy.
3:32 pm
3:33 pm
this is your daughter. and she just got this. ooh boy. but, you've got hum. so you can set this. and if she drives like this, you can tell her to drive more like this. because you'll get this. you can even set boundaries for so if she should be here, but instead goes here, here, or here.
3:34 pm
you'll know. so don't worry, mom. because you put this, in here. hum by verizon. the technology designed to make your car smarter, safer and more connected. put some smarts in your car. >> it will be a victory for real people. a victory for honorable people. a victory for decent people. >> and farage, a key figure, and now time for our group, brit hume, and julie pace, with the associated press, and george will, and "usa today" columnist,
3:35 pm
kirsten powers. before we get to britain leaving the e.u., george i want to talk to you, you announced you have left the republican party. why? yes i left it for the same reason i joined it in 1964 when i voted for barry goldwater. i did it because i was a conservative. i leave for the same reason, i'm a conservative. shortly after trump became the presumptive nominee he had a summit meeting with paul ryan and they stressed their common principles and their vast shared ground which is much more important than the differences and i thought it was puzzling because paul ryan did not endorse him. after donald trump went after the mexican judge from northern indiana, paul ryan endorsed him. and i decided that, in fact, this is not my party anymore. i changed my registration to unaffiliated 23 days ago, hardly made an announcement i mentioned it in a federalist society so
3:36 pm
the long and short of it is as ronald reagan said when he changed his registration, i did not leave the democratic party, the democratic party left me. >> not surprisingly, donald trump has tweeted his reaction to this news today. he says "overrated," and you lost eye way a long-term ago. would you like to respond? >> he has an advantage because he can saying he knows about any subject 140 characters. >> on to brexit. julie, president obama sided with britain staying in the e.u. saying in they left it would go to the back of the queue for trade deals. how worried are they at the white house about the impact of brexit on britain, on europe, and the united states economy? >> in defending, they are less worried on the impact of issue economy but worried of the
3:37 pm
impact on the european economy and worried on the impact of britain that it could take hold not to appear but through europe and change the economic climate, the push toward broad trade agreements, the united states and europe have been in negotiations over a trade agreement for some time, and that is the over arching concern you could see a move away from the global economic order. it is fought clear in what we saw in britain is going to be an isolated event or if you will see other countries who will leave the e.u. >> judge you have a column where you are almost as happy about britain leaving the e.u. as farage. why? >> well, give were the supporters remaining in the e.u. approached it with a weary resolutioning face saying we have in choice and voters hate being told they have no choice, saying we are so entangled with the u.u. and we have to grin and
3:38 pm
bear it and hope the e.u. is getting better. all of the families to say that everyone in favor of leaving the e.u. did it for racist reasons, a standard response, the pact is 630% to 70% and all the british government does is compelled or mandate ordinary in some way controlled by brussels and the continent. how many americans would put up a 630% to 70% of the public decisions made by a commission in candidate and a court locationed in honduras? not very man. "new york times" headline yesterday said britain speakers unchartered territory. for 17 centuries they were outside, an independent nation. they spend 23 years in the e.u. and decide to leave and it is considered a calamity. another point, they remain in the really important european institutions, 92, and when we
3:39 pm
have the violence and genocide, really, the e.u. was hopeless, irrelevant. nato came to the rescue and britain remains part of nato. >> in the wake of brexit, a question is, how many parallels there are between what drove that decision and thement campaign in this country, donald trump on his trip to scotland said there are plenty. >> you can see it all over europe. you will have this happen more and more. i believe that. it is happening in the united states. >> sometimes we do see global trends, in the 70s the victory of margaret thanker would seem to lead the way for ronald reagan's victory in 1980 and a world help wide conservative trend around the globe. how much should we read into brexit? >> it springs from the same
3:40 pm
sources, a rise of populism, the rise of disappointment and anger at established order and that is true in britain and much of europe and it is true here. margaret thatcher years ago after out of office said on the idea of a united states of europe, that they were great differences, america was the product of an idea, of liberty, and europe was the product of centuries of history, bloody history, and any attempt to put the cultures together live the united states would never work and it appears she was correct. pore of this may happen. i pension that to emphasize that there are similarities in the legal atmosphere that the cups are very different and as george pointed out, no outside influence exercise the kind of control over life in the united states that brussels exerts over
3:41 pm
britain and the european countries of the e.u., although the federal government is different. >> the vote in britain to leave the e.u. was populist mooch, it was antiimmigration, fear of globalization, and millions of people are left behind which sounds like trump platform. >> it does. but, remember, this is a referendum very specific on issues vs. a presidential election looking at to different people and a last different issues. you are looking at hillary clinton and donald trump, first, and you are look at top issues. guest most that is the economy, jobs, and terrorism. are people -- does immigration, is that something that gets people upset? absolutely. they be investigating on it in choosing their candidate, that is less clear. those who are upit is are
3:42 pm
already voting for immigration. how does it back the people who are in the mill, it is not perfect parallel. this is a very narrow issue in terms of borders and trade and immigration. it wasn't looking at choosing a leader to have two different personalities and two different leadership styles. >> the one point and i thought newt gingrich made it well, a question of change vs. the status quo and he talked about the new mayor of rome, that there is a sense things are not working and we need to shake it up and maybe we need to shake them up a lot and that fear of change isn't as frightening, as off putting as generally. >> democrat supportive of hick he said hillary clinton can not win an election in it beens a change election. she can win an election if it is a referendum on donald trump. what we learned from the brexit vote is that we assume that
3:43 pm
votes of big change, at last moment they take the more conventional option and in this case to did not they when with the more risky option, the less known option. that is the bigger concern for hillary clinton than any one issue on immigration or policy position that donald trump is taking. >> when we come back, two week of at orlando massacre, congress is gridlocked on gun control. will it be a big issue on the campaign trail? what do you think of the democrats' 26 hour sit in on the house of representatives floor? twitter. use the # fns.
3:44 pm
3:45 pm
3:46 pm
3:47 pm
>> hillary clinton could be the most corrupt ever person to seek the presidentive the united states. >> maybe we should not expect better from someones would most famous words are "you're fired." >> donald trump and hillary clinton sounding pore like october than june as they bring out the rhetorical big guns. now the panel is back. we have a couple of new polls from our colleagues in the networks. first, we have an abc poll which shows clinton is leading donald trump 51% to 39% and in may trump was up two and now down 12 a swing of 14 points. now the nbc poll, clinton leads 46% to 41% and last palm she was leading by 3 and now it is 5. not so much of a change.
3:48 pm
give us your analysis? >> a it affirms what we thought, despite the fact he finished earlier and had the field to himself while she was dealing with bernie sanders, he has not succeeded in gaining from the opportunity. near has he gained from the opportunity afforded by the terrorist attack in orlando. despite fact he got right on it and had a message. he may have muddled to that suggest as he does that somehow president obama had a shady knowledge of it or sympathy which was a distraction from the central message. it suggests that it was scan decembered opportunity on his part and rather than gaining ground can he could have been able to do he lost ground. i will ask you about part of the donald trump message in the big speech with the teleprompter he delivered on wednesday. he described us a contest
3:49 pm
between powerful special interests and taking off on clinton's campaign slowing were -- slogan and saying "i am with you, the american people. >> there were a lot of republicans pleased to see him get back to that message. that essentially is the overall them campaign from the my marries, the idea he is outside of the political class and was not beholden to the donors or other special interests. the message was history after he won the primary. the biggest question, can he stay on the message. i watch with trump when he is back to the rallies and he is in front of the crowd and he feeds off of their energy and that is when he tens to go east script, say things that the campaign has to three and walk away from and we have not seep him do that since giving the speech and that is when we will know how he can stick with the message.
3:50 pm
>> i was intrigued by the gingrich comment where he suggested trump go into inner city chicago and say are you happy with the dozens of people wore killed here. i don't know how many african-american votes he would pick up but it would be a way of saying, i am the change agent. if you like status quo it would, saying i'm the change agent.uld, if you like status quo, vote for the other guy. >> that would be something that trump could choose to do. we haven't seen him do that yet. i do think that making a couple ofof speeches, going and having couple of conversations like that isn't enough, if you don't have some kind of campaign infrastructure then to make that a consistent case. and try to ensure that the people who mayov be willing to change their party affiliation, move over to a republican candidate are able to actually come out and vote in november. >> let's turn to another development this week, and that was the 26-hour sit-in by house democrats on the house floor, pushing for more gun control. afterwards, congressman john
3:51 pm
lewis, a civil rights icon and house speaker paul ryan continued the debate. >> we will continue to insist, to demand action, whether it's on the floor or around america. >> if this is not a political stunt, then why are they trying to raise money off of this? off of a tragedy. >> in a poll after the orlando massacre, 85% said they now favor preventing people on the terror watch list from owning guns. george, is public opinionon turning on guns? this hasfr tended to be an issu that democrats have shied away from. could it be a potential winner for them in this climate? >> i think portions of the gun control agenda, this portion particularly could be. i believe there is a large majority in favor of using the watch elist, the terrorism watc list. >> people on that list can't get guns. >> i know, however, that in the words of the supreme court, the very purpose of a bill of rights is to put certain things beyond
3:52 pm
the reach of majorities. what these people want is for a faceless bureaucrat, unaccountable,e, to be able to t someone on a list by standards we don't know. we don't even know how many people are on the list. some say a million are on the terror watch list. and by putting them on that list, which isof very hard to g off, can take years, they would trigger the loss of second amendment rights. they would violate the fifth amendment, guarantee of due process. and the 14th amendment, which applies due process to the states as well. so you have a large majority, and it could be a political factor, but it's a large majority standing against the constitution. >> on the other hand, that's a long -- i mean, it's a very cogent argument. it's a complicated argument to make. if somebody says people on the terror watch list need to not get guns, that's a bumper sticker, isn't qit? >> it elis. but then the fair question is, what else should be forfeited by people who are put on this event list by someone we cannot know? >> chris, let's remember. this isn't the first time we've
3:53 pm
seen large majorities in favor of some form or another of further gun control. and each time what seems to happen is the majority is from people whose concerns are spread out across a whole range of issues. the pro-second amendment people will vote against you on that issue alone. polls have difficulty measuring the intensity factor, and the intensity factor time and time again on this issue has always favored the gun rights advocates, which is why it has proved to be over the years a very dangerous issue for democrats who will look at a poll and say wow, majority is on my side. and when the voting happens, it doesn't work out that way. and i think that's a risk that democrats run with this issue now. >> which is why i asked robby mook exactly that question, because really, since al gore in 2000, democratic candidates for president have shied away from the issue. the single interests -- single issue voters that are pro-gun tend to be more mobilized.
3:54 pm
shouldit hillary clinton make ts an issue in in campaign or not? >> i think that democrats think that that has shifted. so that is not necessarily the way it used to be. and i think seeing the sit-in is also evidence of that. that they think it has shifted. and that people are now getting to the point, because of these mass shootings, that they want to see something done. you look at p the cbs poll, 57%f people also supporting a nationwide ban on assault weapons. that's upen 44% since december. so these are somewhat driven by events. i think people are starting to get fed up. that's what democrats are looking at. in terms of the constitutionality issue, we have constitutional rights, but there are limits on them and we recognize that with free speech, for example, that we do place some reasonable limits on that. >> you can't buy a machine gun. >> i think a lot of people see limitations onable on gun rights. >> but reasonable limitations have to be imposed under the fifth amendment with due process, not by an anonymous bureaucrat putting you on a list no one sees and no one quite
3:55 pm
knows how to get off. >> here's what i don't understand on that. i agree with you, we know steve hayes is our colleague from the weekly standard was on the terror watch list. isn't there a reasonable due process, because i know democrats say that what the republicans are asking for is impossible. isn't there a compromise there somewhere? that yes, you do say if you're on the terror watch list and you want to contest it, you have to figure people that are really on the terror watch list aren't going to contest it anyway. >> the compromise is to establish due procedures. but that's complicated and time consuming. and people, as you said, have little patience for constitutionality. >> this focus in the aftermath of orlando works very well for the democrats, particularly for the administration, which does not want to talk about the obvious failures that allowed orlando to happen. and the apparently unsuccessful efforts against terrorism. so they've turned it, i think somewhat skillfully, into an issue of gun control, whether
tv-commercial
3:56 pm
that will prevail with the public at large remains to be seen, but for the moment, they have certainly seized the spotlight. >> all right. thank you, panel. see you next sunday. up next, a look back at the stunning events in britain, as europe faces a new future.
3:57 pm
3:58 pm
now you can't spell nutriam i right?t nut, i mean whose to say it's pronounced nu-triton, anyway? my mixes contain delicious nuts, specially blended for your optimal nut-rition. that's right, i just changed a word in the english dictionary, forever. planters. nutrition starts with nut. the idea of a unified europe started back in the 1950s in the wake of two the idea of a unified europe started back in the 1950s in the wake of two world wars. and the desire to end the nationalist divisions that had torn the continent apart. britain's decision to leave the eu marks a dramatic turn away from that path. here are some of the sights and sounds from this week's historic vote. >> the uk has voted to leave the european union. >> we've got our country back! >> the sun has risen on an
3:59 pm
independent united kingdom. and just look at it. even the weather has improved. >> the british people have made a choice. that not only needs to be respected, but those on the losing side of the argument, myself included, should help to make it work. >> we are not french. we are not spanish. we are british, and we've always been different. a fact you need to accept. >> this does not mean that the united kingdom will be in any way less united. nor indeed does it mean that it will be any less european. >> it may take two years for britain to leave the eu and the terms of the divorce will be complicated. but whatever happens, there's no question, britain and the world now face a different future.
4:00 pm
and that's it for today. have a great week. and we'll see you next "fox news sunday." fox urgent, world financials parched to see what will happen with the first full week of trading. since britain exited the european union, asian markets opening in about 59 minutes. we'll be monitoring for reaction. and that so-called brexit is having an impact on american politics already. the top contenders for the white house donald trump and hillary clinton are going at each other with a fresh round of heat. and developing into a big story, new polling which shows a double-digit advantage for one of them. critics are asking, is that poll the real deal? i'm harris faulkner. this is "the "fox report"."

48 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on